Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cheddar Macaroni Beef Casserole


So the other night for dinner we had a pasta bake. I got the recipe from a magazine that my wonderful neighbor gave me. It is a Kraft mag so they use Kraft products. I don't think it matters what you use as long as you like the flavor and results you get. But on with the show...
Prep 20 minutes Total 30 Minutes Makes 4 servings
This is the dirt you need
1 package of mac and cheese dinner
1 pound of ground beef
1 can Italian style tomatoes undrained
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Throwing it Together
Preheat your oven to 400. Make the mac and cheese as it says on the box but leave out the butter (you don't need it) while that is going brown the beef drain and add the tomatoes and oregano. mix well and bring to a boil (What you say boil, that's right remember the undrained tomatoes that liquid will boil). Add the meat mix to the mac and cheese mix em all up and spoon into a 9 inch baking dish. sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for 10 minutes or till the cheese is melted and is heated through.

Enjoy.

Now that is the directions that the recipe states. I being unconventional and wanted to try it my way. I had the box of mac and cheese but I thought Hum I bet this will taste better If I make my own mac and cheese. So I did, and to do that I measured out a cup and a half of macaroni and brought it to a boil and boiled for 5 minuets. (we like our pasta a little on the firm side) then I added in 1/4 cup of milk and 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese. now normally when I make this i add in 2 to 4 tablespoons of butter or marg but it said to leave it in the fridge.
I don't like to use a lot of ground beef because it is on the pricey side so I only used 1/2 pound. I also didn't have Italian style tomatoes so i used tomatoes with sweet onion in em, It gave the dish a nice sweet flavor. I couldn't find my oregano leaves so I used crushed and only 1/4 tsp. The results were wonderful and My husband was upset because there wasn't more, Unless he wanted to eat his lunch for the next day. Make it tonight you will love it.




Let me tell you about this pan. I LOVE this pan. We picked it up at Ross for $11. bucks. it is awesome it is non stick and deep. so i can mix all my goods in one pan without having to dirty a bowl or make my stove a mess. and the blue is pretty. (granted my kitchen is red and black but it didn't come in red or black)


It is made in Italy by a company called TVS


Here I am boiling some water for the Mac and cheese

This is a cup and a half of macaroni


the milk and shredded cheese for the mac and cheese


This is the Beef with the tomatoes and the oregano


Ahh it is in the 9 x 9 pan before I put it in the oven.

and Whala it is done ready to eat. I let it cool for a few minutes so my little one didn't burn his mouth. it sure was tasty. You can serve it with some french bread or garlic bread if you like. Not bad for a meal that i had (almost) everything on hand.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a simple fun recipe the kids will like...I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete